Build an Ultimate Eco-friendly & Stylish Stay at Home Mom Capsule Wardrobe
“What to wear today?”— Isn’t this one of the biggest dilemmas that gnaws at us ladies every single morning? And on top of that, if you’re a stay-at-home mom, things just get more critical because with managing kids and household chores, there’s simply no time to sit back and think about our outfits! However, despite your busy schedule, you can still look effortless with the right guidelines and some constructive closet planning. How? Well babe, a stay at home mom capsule wardrobe is all you need!
The biggest selling point of having such a closet is that it explodes your option for everyday cute outfits. And it’s magical to experience that you can achieve new looks every time with just a bit of thoughtful shopping. So ditch that loungewear and say “Hii” to chic looks that are comfortable and attractive at the same time. As a home mom, this approach will ease your mornings by helping you get ready in a jiffy. Plus, you’ll always look put-together while answering the doorbell to delivery persons, running your daily errands, and picking up the kiddos from school.
Excited? Well, get ready for a step-by-step guide to walk through the process of building a sustainable capsule wardrobe for stay at home moms that you’ll absolutely love!
38 Piece Stay at Home Mom Capsule Wardrobe
The Concept of a Capsule Wardrobe
A capsule wardrobe is a coordinated collection of thoughtfully curated clothing and accessories that can be easily interchanged to create a wide variety of outfits. These pieces are consciously designed in versatile styles and timeless silhouettes that will always remain in fashion and keep you comfortable and stylish at the same time.
Every item in your capsule wardrobe should consist of pieces that you love. They should reflect your personal style and fit you like a glove so that you enjoy returning to your closet day after day. Because the core purpose of building a capsule collection is to incorporate it into your lifestyle for the long run.
While building such a hand-picked collection, it is important to stick to classic color combinations to create effortless looks. But it’s your wardrobe— so have fun designing it! Experiment by adding different patterns that suits your personality and makes you cheerful.
For any conscious person, a capsule wardrobe is a must-have, not only because it simplifies your dress-up game and saves time, but also because slow and sustainable fashion benefits the environment in the long run. Just think, when you know your style, you automatically buy less and invest in quality pieces that will stay with you for years. So, ultimately you shop responsibly and save clothes from ending up in landfills. Plus, you save so much money by restricting impulse shopping and yet look like a fortune.
How to Create a Sustainable and Environment-Friendly Capsule Wardrobe for Stay-at-Home Moms
Styling a capsule wardrobe will strongly depend on your lifestyle. So while the concept remains the same, every capsule closet will be different. For instance, as a stay-at-home mom, your go-to pieces will be poles apart from a corporate working woman’s.
True, creating such an ideal wardrobe might feel like a task initially, but trust me, once you experience it, there’s no going back! Don’t worry; you don’t have to build anything from scratch, because your current wardrobe will already have some of your favorite pieces. To make things easy, I’ve broken down the process step-by-step; all you have to do is follow the guidelines:
- First and foremost, start by digging deep into your existing wardrobe. Take a serious look and sort out pieces that you absolutely love from those that have never seen daylight. You’ll be amazed to find treasures that you wore once and forgot, as they got lost under a pile of clothes.
- Next, analyze your lifestyle as a stay-at-home mommy and the climatic condition you live in. All these factors will guide you into building a functional closet that you will actually love and need. Once you’re done with all the deep thinking and sorting, create separate clusters for what you want to stay and what you want to let go. Keep the items you wear most of the time. Donate or consign pieces responsibly that you’ve never worn.
- If you live in a region facing four seasons, remove items from your wardrobe that are currently out of season. Make space for arranging clothes ideal for the present weather and store the remaining in a safe space until the next season comes around.
- Now, for the clothes you chose to keep— take a good hard look and try to understand why you love them. Is it the color palette? Is it the silhouette? Is it the fabric? Assess why these are your most worn pieces because the answer to your personal style is hidden in the clothes you already own.
Let's Pick your Core Pieces For a SAHM Capsule Wardrobe!
- At this point, you should be clear about the colors that suit you, the fashion silhouettes that flatter your body, and the fabrics you feel the most snug. These factors are extremely important to be mindful of because the right color palette will enhance your skin tone, making you look radiant and glowing.
- Now, start planning on the number of garments you’ll require as a busy stay at home mom. Preferably, these numbers should agree with your lifestyle, the climatic condition in your area, and your laundry cycles.
- Opting for a neutral color palette with shades of white, beige, black, brown, navy, or grey is definitely a core rule for building a capsule wardrobe. These colors are extremely versatile and suit almost everyone. So when majority of your clothes are in neutral tones, the mix-and-match game becomes super-easy!
- Now, add in some accent colors like those that compliment you and make you feel yourself. These shades will act as highlighters for your otherwise neutral-colored clothes! Preferably incorporate them in accessories because bigger staple pieces are hard to match everything.
- From one stay at home mommy to another, every capsule wardrobe is designed differently. Remember, choosing to curate your perfect capsule collection doesn’t mean ditching your personal style. What works for someone might not work for you, so never lose your uniqueness and be specific with the styles you want to incorporate into your wardrobe.
- Consider your current state. Are you pregnant? or in the postpartum phase? or a homeschooling mama? Because your shopping style will be streamlined based on these factors. Also, think about the type of neckline you prefer. If you’re a nursing mommy, you’ll need maternity-friendly clothing. Then again, are you into mom jeans or skinny jeans? Do cropped sweaters work for you, or are you into oversized jumpers? Think, Think, & Think, before zeroing in on the styles you want to invest.
- Your focus should be around owning garments made from sustainable and breathable fabrics. Because you’ll only be able to make the most of your capsule wardrobe when your core pieces are made of high-quality, organic, and low-impact fibers. Some examples of such eco-friendly materials can range between linen, organic cotton, hemp, vegan leather, certified merino wool, responsible alpaca wool, and so on.
A Customized Closet Awaits You...Let's Go Shopping!
- Whoa! Hold your horses! You don’t need to rush yourself on an overnight shopping spree. Take your time, and check through the timeless collections offered by sustainable brands. Remember, slow fashion is the key! Start with buying wardrobe essentials like basic tees and base layers that can be easily paired with everything.
- While capsule wardrobes differ from person to person. The essential pieces remain the same. As a stay at home mama, you need to have more of functional yet chic clothes that you can lounge around comfortably while indoors. So begin arranging your closet with pieces that make sense to you. Some neutral-colored tees, a pair of black pants, 3-4 leggings and lounge pants, 2-3 pairs of denim, 2 cardigans for layering, 2-3 sweatshirts and jumpers, a coat, and a black dress or a sweater dress. These pieces can be easily interchanged and dressed up or down, depending on the occasion.
- Add in a few pieces of classic patterns that you like to wear time and again. For instance, Stripes are timeless, and so are tiny polka dots and prairie kind-of delicate florals! Just make sure not to go after patterns influenced by some latest trends, as they will undoubtedly become outdated in a couple of months.
- A capsule mom wardrobe might look minimalist, but it is a neat space for clothes that you actually wear. So don’t fret! Over the years, add in to your outfit collection and responsibly dispose off anything that you no longer wear or love. There’s no restricted number of garments that you must adhere to as long as everything is in use.
Example of a 38 piece Capsule Wardrobe for a Stay at Home Mom
Building a capsule wardrobe isn’t easy. Especially when you’re in a season of pregnancy or are a new mommy, because as women, our bodies go through a lot of change throughout our life. And it’s definitely not sustainable and practical to change our clothes in every phase of our lives. The goal is to design a closet that eases your dressing-up process while making you feel attractive, regardless of your body shape.
Take a sneak peek at this example of a 38-piece stay at home capsule wardrobe that you can refer to build your own.
5 T- Shirts
A few basic tees in a neutral color scheme are essentials for layering and creating different outfits. They’re easy to dress up by making a few additions to create elevated looks.
Women’s Short Sleeve
Women’s Organic Slim
Women’s Organic Half-sleeve Mock Tee
Chantria Maternity Tee
Lightweight and breathable tanks are another great option to relax at home and came be quickly layered to create a variety of outfits.
Organic Cotton Layering Tank
Irena Mommy Top
3 Shirts & Blouses
To create more dressed-up casual look without putting much effort; shirts and blouses are what you need. Pair them with pants, skirt or jeans and you’re all set to attend that PTA meeting or a much needed outing with friends or family.
Cozy sweaters are perfect for chilly days or for running errands or lounging around at home. Look for a neutral color that can be paired with different bottoms to create multiple outfits.
Cashmere Heart Pointelle
Cashmere Silk Bliss
A cardigan is a versatile layering piece that can be worn over a t-shirt, blouse, or dress to keep you cozy on chilly days.
Cashmere Shawl Collar Cocoon Cardigan
Comfortable pair of jeans are a must-have for any stay-at-home mom’s wardrobe. Look for a pair in classic color and cuts that will compliment any basic color tops and sweaters.
Nao Bootcut Inkwell
Straight Sally Indigo Autumn
Ashleigh Flare Jeans
Amazing option for days when you want to be comfortable but still look put-together. Pair them with a sweater or tunic top for a casual yet polished look at home or outdoors.
In motion High-rise Legging
Midnight Seamless Maternity Legging
Nothing beats a comfy pair of spacious joggers while going for a run, doing home chores, or spending time with the kids.
Tree Terry Relaxed Jogger
Organic Sweatpants Lava Grey
2 Skirts & Shorts
Explore a day out with your family in a pair of snug shorts. And go on a date night or a family event in a perfect feminine skirt.
Washable Silk Skirt
PHX + Denim Short
Owning a dress or two for special events is always a good idea. Nothing beats a woman in a classic dress.
Darcie Maternity Dress
The Ramani Dress
As a stay-at-home mom, you’ll be doing a lot of running around like taking care of errands, so comfortable shoes are a must. Look for sneakers, loafers, or slip-ons that are easy to walk in.
Urca CWL White Natural
Brooke Huarache Mule In Noir
Everyday Slip-on Loafer
A structured overcoat, jacket, or trench works amazing for pulling the whole look together while you step outdoors.
A cross-body bag or a tote is a great option for keeping your hands free of your kids’ things. It should be large enough to hold all your essentials but not so large that it becomes cumbersome.
Classic Zipper Tote
Statement pieces play a vital role to elevate outfits. A few earrings, a necklace, bracelet and a scarf will go a long way and give you looks that you’ll love.
Mini Hoop Earrings
Fuliwa Climber Stud
Delicate Ellipse Bracelet
Never Till Now Necklace
Prussian Cashmere Scarf
A good belt lasts for years and is definitely required to fix a loose pair of jeans or trousers.
To Wrap It Up...
Building a sustainable SAHM capsule wardrobe is undoubtedly a win-win situation on all fronts. Just imagine, every time you come across mommies who look so organized and classy, there’s a possibility of a consciously curated closet at work. And now you can have that too. Having your outfits planned out as per your style will save you a lot of time and money by narrowing down your options to fashion styles you love to wear. The best part? It boosts your CONFIDENCE incredibly!